November 24, 2021

Do You Know...? series: Guest review

 
This review was written by Grade 3 student Hudson G.
 

Written by Alain M. Bergeron, Michel Quintin and Sampar
Illustrated by Sampar
Fitzhenry & Whiteside
64 pp.
Ages 7-11
2013-2018

The Do You Know...? series by Alain Bergeron, Michel Quinton and Sampar are little books that are only 64 pages long. This small graphic novel is the size of a regular novel, but is packed with a lot of information and funny cartoons. Children who read this book won’t realize they are learning because the book is one big long cartoon about the animals with scientific facts listed at the bottom. The focus is on the joke with the large picture taking up almost the whole page. The artwork is very cartoonish and that is very good for when kids are learning. This type of artwork attracts children and makes them want to read more. The cartoons are still realistic because dinosaurs look accurate, but it is funny because they are wearing clothes.

Each book in the series is a quick read, taking me about twenty minutes to finish. In those twenty minutes, I learned a lot. The facts were new to me and very interesting. The information learned is quite advanced about these animals. Each book has a glossary at the back to explain the new vocabulary. The graphic novel reads like a comic book and you don’t realize you are learning. So, if you want specific information about a topic, you can look at the index at the back, since there aren’t headings or a table of contents.

I would give this series a 9 out of 10. I couldn’t give it a perfect score because I would like each book to be longer. I wanted to keep reading. I would recommend this book to children in grades three to five because some of the words are harder to understand for younger readers. I only got to read four of the books in the series but I would like to read all of them listed on the back. I am going to ask my librarian to buy the rest of the series for our school so I can read them all.

~Review by student Hudson G., Gr. 3 
 
• • • • • • •
To date, I believe there are 16 (!) titles in this series so Hudson can look forward to more great reading and learning since, like Hudson, I recommend them all as entertaining and informative.
 
Do You Know Spiders? (2013)
Do You Know Crocodiles? (2013)
Do You Know Leeches? (2013)
Do You Know Rats? (2013)
Do You Know Crows? (2013)
Do You Know Porcupines? (2013)
Do You Know Toads? (2013)
Do You Know the Rhinoceros? (2015)
Do You Know Tigers? (2015)
Do You Know Piranhas? (2018)
Do You Know Owls? (2018)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Helen K ! :-) Glad to know that you liked our work :-)

    ReplyDelete