August 28, 2024

Misadventures in Ghosthunting: Q & A with author Melissa Yue

Misadventures in Ghosthunting
Written by Melissa Yue
HarperCollins
978-1-4434-7091-9
367 pp.
Ages 8-12
August 2024
 
 
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of reviewing Melissa Yue's debut middle grade novel, Misadventures in Ghosthunting. Today I have the added pleasure of posting a Q & A I did with Melissa Yue about the book and her writing. 
 
Enjoy! 


 
Helen Kubiw:  It’s not unusual to take from your own experiences to feed your story. Did you do this, building the story in Misadventures in Ghosthunting from your own life experiences and observations?
 
Melissa Yue:  When I first began drafting Misadventures in Ghosthunting, I incorporated many topics that I wasn’t only interested in and already familiar with, but also elements that I wanted to learn more about. As a Chinese-Canadian woman whose family has resided in Canada for several generations, I often find myself inundated with how things were supposed to be done, but not why. My experience isn’t unusual—it’s not uncommon for the reasons behind traditions to be lost somewhere in the storm of change and time. This means that some elements of my book, such as listening to older family members, navigating generational and cultural differences, or digging into a big pot of ga lei ngau lam (curry beef brisket – yum!) are drawn from my own experiences; other elements, like the tools that Emma uses for vanquishing ghosts and the lore behind the denizens of the Underworld, have a cultural basis that is not inherent to my own lived experiences, but from what I have observed about my surroundings. Misadventures in Ghosthunting, at its heart, has always been a story about cultural connection, identity, and growth in the face of fear.

 
HK:  Even though the story includes multiple supernatural elements, are any of these based in your own heritage or customs? For example, did you use talismans? Have you ever seen a ghost? Was there an ancestral altar? Did you celebrate the Ghost Festival?
 
Melissa Yue:  Sadly (or luckily), my life has been considerably less exciting than Emma’s, and I’ve never needed to ward off a ghost with talismans! My grandma’s house does have an ancestral altar, and on important days like the Ghost Festival, offerings would be placed there and the incense lit.

As for whether or not I’ve ever seen a ghost… Well, there is a reason why Victoria has the reputation of being one of the most haunted cities in Canada. I invite all you ghost-seekers and lovers of the paranormal to come and visit the old cobblestone paths, eerie locales, and spooky heritage buildings that Victoria is famous for!

 
HK:  Is magic an important part of the Chinese culture?
 
Melissa Yue:  Magic, superstition, and esoteric practices all have a long history in Chinese culture. You even see this in an entire genre of media, “xianxia,” in which Chinese philosophy, magic, and martial arts intersect. The way these elements appear in the modern day differ from region to diaspora population to each individual family, and it’s very fascinating! In my family, magic shows up more in the form of superstition—either avoiding things out of fear or doing things to elicit good luck. For example, some members of my family leave coins around growing plants to encourage the generation of wealth. Emma’s journey in Misadventures in Ghosthunting simply takes superstition one step further to explore the basis for fears and ways of existing.

 
HK:  The Underworld is a very common construct of various religions and cultures, from Buddhism to Celtic mythology. Why do you think this concept repeats in multiple traditions?
 
Melissa Yue:  I’m of the firm belief that death is as important as life, and I’d like to think that this sentiment is echoed in various religions and cultures. Where do people go after they die? How do the living continue in their journeys after their loved ones have passed away? These questions have always existed. Deiyuk, the Chinese Underworld, and other underworlds like it, are just some of the answers that people have created to answer one of the biggest questions of all: What happens after we die?

 
HK:  Emma Wong, your main character, seems like a typical teen in that she’s trying to balance family life and school. While trying to find her place, whether in ghosthunting or life as a teen , she is also trying to navigate parental pressure. In fact, it’s her poor performance on a math exam that introduces her to her ghosthunting background. However, she finally stands up for herself after her mother accuses her of making bad decisions.

“I’m not making bad decisions,” she says to her mother. “I’m just making decisions you don’t like.” (pg. 206)

How typical do you think it is for teens, particularly those of Chinese parents, to struggle with parental disappointment? (I especially liked that Emma identifies one of her mom’s frowns as Disappointed Mom™.) Is this something you experienced first-hand?
 
Melissa Yue:  Being a teenager is tough—for everyone! It’s totally normal for teens of all backgrounds to struggle with parental expectations and disappointment. How those expectations and disappointments get worked through requires a team effort from both the parents and the teens, with the acknowledgement that hey, sometimes differences can’t be completely resolved. It’s okay to have differing opinions about how things should be as long as no one is getting irrevocably hurt.

As for my own experience with parental disappointment, I was lucky in that I never really experienced the Disappointed Mom™ frown. My parents were quite easygoing and mostly let me do what I wanted. However, I heard from and witnessed many of my friends endure the pressures of parental disappointment. For folks coming from immigrant backgrounds, the expectation to do well, to succeed, and to give meaning to the sacrifices of your parents and your family before them can be immense and overwhelming.
 
 
HK:  I was really glad that Emma had such a strong connection with her grandmother. They share a love of gardening and Emma showed her grandmother deep respect, willing to do anything to protect her. A comment in your acknowledgements suggest you have or had  a similar relationship with your Maa Maa. Tell us about your grandmother and this book.
 
Melissa Yue:  I had an unusual relationship with my paternal grandmother growing up. We often spent time together, but we weren’t able to communicate due to severe language barriers. It was definitely tough at times! Yet I like to think that not being able to communicate conventionally helped us grow our relationship in other ways. Sharing food, smiles, laughter, and awkward misunderstandings still gave us a relationship that was built on love and care.

Unfortunately, Maa Maa passed away in January of this year. I wish she could’ve seen my book come into the world, but there are lots of details in Misadventures in Ghosthunting that help keep her memory alive. For instance, the incense tin on the back cover is an almost identical likeness to one of the incense tins she kept in her house. August Zhang, the cover artist, did an incredible job with bringing a piece of my grandma to the art of Misadventures in Ghosthunting. I like to think my grandmother would’ve been happy to see her incense tin immortalized in print, and proud of what I have accomplished.


HK:  What was the most challenging part of the writing process for you? Plot construction? Character development? Voice? Fluency or continuity? Or something else altogether?
 
Melissa Yue:  Oh, goodness! Everything was challenging at the beginning, to be honest. Misadventures in Ghosthunting was the first novel-length work that I’d ever tried writing, and I hadn’t even intended for it to become a book when I first started jotting down my little ideas. It was a very steep curve of learning not only novel craft, but about my own writing identity. These past few years have been an incredible experience in growth for me, and I’m looking forward to continuing to grow with each novel I write.
 
 
HK:  Now that your debut book has been published, are there any new projects that are in the works?
 
Melissa Yue:  Haha… All I can say is stay tuned! 😊
 
• • • • • • • 
  
I'd like to thank Melissa Yue
for granting me this interview and taking the trouble to answer all my questions.
 
It was lovely to meet her via this Q & A 
and to learn more about her and her writing. 
As the book was released yesterday, 
I hope this interview, and yesterday's review, will encourage young readers 
(and those who purchase books for them) to give it a read.

 
Thanks are also extended to Shayla Leung, Publicist at HarperCollins Canada,
for facilitating this event.
 
• • • • • • •

No comments:

Post a Comment