July 13, 2020

Con Quest!: Guest review

This review was written by teacher Elizabeth Cook.

Written by Sam Maggs
Imprint
978-1-250307279
256 pp.
Ages 8-12
June 2020

Con Quest! by Sam Maggs is a middle grade novel that centers around eleven-year-old twin siblings, Cat and Alex, who attend a comic convention with their comic-writing parents and extremely unenthusiastic fourteen-year old-sister Fi. Though Fi has been tasked with babysitting the twins while their parents participate in panel sessions, headstrong Cat has other plans, managing to sneak out with her brother Alex to complete a series of insane tasks as part of a scavenger hunt Quest at the comic con.  Winning is paramount for them as the prize is time with the handsome celebrity Corwin Blake and a mentorship for budding comic artists. Winning the challenge will be tough enough for the young twins but it's even more complicated when they have to avoid Fi and the overzealous security at the convention. 

This novel is a bit of a departure from my typical reading choices.  Because I know my students would love the story, I wanted to read it. Still, never being into comics, superheroes, and fandoms, I was a little hesitant to read a book about a comic convention. After all, I have only seen one Star Wars movie (my boyfriend got to pick the movie that night), I can’t tell you which superheroes are DC vs. Marvel, and my only real knowledge of anything sci-fi or fantasy is based in Harry Potter of which I am a big fan. Still I really wanted to see if the twins would be successful in completing their Con Quest and Sam Maggs does an exceptional job of placing the reader at that comic con. As a reader, the energy and exhilaration of the convention was palpable, from the jostling among the crowds, trying to meet favourite comic writers and actors, and even running around in decoupaged shoes (worth 19 points)!

Sam Maggs does an excellent job of ensuring diversity among her Con Quest characters. Cat’s parents are from Slovakia and, when they speak to their kids, it's in Slovakian which was of great interest to me as a reader. Alex has autism and struggles with large crowds which poses a challenge for him at a crowded comic convention. However, his family knows how to help him when he requires it while allowing him the independence to run around the convention all day completing the challenges. (A ketchup and relish portrait for 40 points!) Moreover, this novel is enriched with a number of LGBTQ+ characters and addresses the issue of personal pronouns including how preferred gender and non binary terms are added to convention badges.

Regardless of my typical reading preferences, Con Quest was a perfect read. It is fast-paced, fun, engaging, and a little nail-biting at times.  While I might not be a weird mega fan like Fi would say...I am a little weird in my own way.  As Sam Maggs wrote in the acknowledgement section at the back, “And to you my reader!  Embrace your wacky, your weird, your wonderful!”  So, I will!

 • • • • •

~ Reviewer Elizabeth Cook is a teacher in the Halton District School Board. She is an avid reader and fan of Canadian literature.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment